Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Wider World of Wire

I'm exactly three weeks into metal mouth mania (only three weeks!!): my face has gotten tougher, my gums have only one tender spot and it's come to my attention that I may not be the only one to have chosen mid-life orthodontia. 

Okay, of course I knew I had company. But while I was busy sharing my experience in the hope that it could entertain and perhaps help someone else make the decision, it hadn't occurred to me to look around to see what others had reported. Did you know that later-life brace wearing is an actual trend? It only makes sense--while we're tummy tucking, face lifting, botoxing and much more, why not straighten our teeth, too? 

What I found when I first looked up from my own mouth and peeked into others was frightening. I read comments about weak teeth (post braces), regret, thousands of wasted dollars. People wanted to know why their orthodontist hadn't warned them that older gums heal slowly--perhaps never completely. I read about patients who were treated like children--patronized, with their questions ignored. And finally, happily, I read about the success stories. At ArchWired, an entire site dedicated to mid-life braces, you can read a well-documented blog and see lots of teeth in every stage of the process. (About twenty photos in, I knew I'd made the right life choice in not becoming a dentist! That was my sister's dream and she's very good at it.)

My teeth do feel loose, and in a dream the other night that I reached up and simply pulled one out. Clearly, there are concerns running amok in my unconscious mind. In truth, there are more than a few running amok in my conscious mind as well. I have learned that I could have (perhaps should have?) asked a lot more questions, such as, "Will I need headgear or other appliances?" Lord, I certainly hope not! Rather, I assumed they would tell me all I needed to know. I did consult with two different orthodontists--about twenty years apart--and the outcome was the same: no Invisalign, years of treatment, hefty price tag.

I was pleased to learn that I'm not the wimpiest or the whiniest older brace-wearer out there (yes!), but compared to kids, we adults as a whole are definitely less willing to deal with the down side. Is it because we're paying for it? Or because we're used to having some control? Whatever it is, I have to remember that I asked for them. And they're the only route to straight teeth. It's a "first-world" kind of problem, I know. 

But I'm not here to compare life's challenges--I'm here to talk (teeth) turkey. So until next time, please sip soup, crunch a carrot or bite a bagel for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment