Friday, February 14, 2014

Wired for Love

Good news! Romance is still possible, even with half your face enmeshed in metal. 

At least it is if your other half is as supportive and loving as mine. If he doesn't get tired of my whining and leave me (a distinct possibility as, since I began this experiment, I, who always thought of myself as tough--hey, two huge (sorry, Sara) naturally delivered babies without the help of drugs, right?--I have become unable to deal with this achy-gummed, sore-jawed, cut- lipped, sore-cheeked existence without carping about it regularly, no matter how I try, and I am trying!), I believe his positive outlook and sense of humor is what will help me through the next 23 months or so.

Last night we had an unplanned early Valentine's Day dinner, running through the storm (as the sidewalks were not cleared, we found ourselves out in the road with plows threatening to bury us alive in the snowbanks--perhaps not our brightest plan) to a nearby Italian restaurant where we found ourselves and one other couple the only customers. Biting isn't fun and my molars don't meet so heavy chewing is out. We split a warm, wilted escarole and goat cheese salad which I followed with skinny spaghetti and tender spicy sausage; the perfect choice for my dinner. Pete had wood-smoked scallops on cheesy ravioli. Enio's on Cottage Road--stop by and try it sometimes if you haven't yet!

So, how does it feel four days in? Everything above aside, it is getting better. My gums are getting tougher so they don't throb after I eat. And I'm learning, I guess, how to accept the braces as a part of me. Tooth brushing is interesting--at this point, I would not want anyone to witness that debacle, which includes a lot of drooling and funny-face making, but I'm assuming I'll get better at this also.

I'll be posting at milestones and when I have new experiences worth sharing--visiting Pete's family this weekend promised to be a trove of embarrassing situations but we decided to wait for better weather, so those stories will have to wait, too.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!
Chew the heck out of some dark-chocolate-covered caramels for me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment